Friday, January 11, 2013

this post is going to be very short, mainly because I'm typing on my iPhone with an awful Internet connection but also because I've written so much in my journal that I my brain is going to fry if I keep writing all of my thoughts, feelings, confusion, and emotions over the course of the 7 days that I have lived here.

I live in a town called Akotowkr, Ghana. They speak mainly Fante here but also some English. I am known as "OBORUNI" to all the passer-bys. and by all I mean ALL. there is not one street corner I turn without it being shouted. it means foreigner or white person, and the reason I stand out goes without being said. most of the people here are very friendly, they like to hear about America, and they LOVE cameras. The other day I got lost but didn't really mind because of the 10 children who approached me with open arms. they asked me to dance in the streets with them and to take pictures of them. I noticed one look into the camera and she then looked down at her own dress to see if that was a reflection of her own self. I can't imagine not being able to recognize myself, but part of
me understand why. The house I live in has one tiny mirror in the whole house, it sits above the bathroom sink and the light above does not work. I like this, I don't worry about the breakout on my face or my hair or if I have unplucked eyebrows.

I have already fallen in love with the children of the orphanage. there are 29, ages 7 months to 18 years. It breaks my heart to hear that most of them are there because of abandonment. Some of them still have parents who live locally they are just unable to care for them. I have already fully convinced myself that I am financially and emotionally able to adopt three of them. I honesty, in my head, think that I am taking them home with me. I love how cuddly and touchy they are. They pet
my skin and don't understand why it is white, they tell me that the top of my hair is white and that the roots are black JUST like their hair, this meaning that I need a highlight, in my mind hahah two of the children have physical disformites, they spend all day in strollers, necks curved all the way backwards. I know they need medical attention ASAP. I want to do something big
for this opehanage. it is not very sanitary, the couches are completely ripped up foam, the babies eat their food off the floor, and much more. Some of the costs for this program will go towards monthly projects for the opehanage, I need to come up with this soon!

most days have been very happy, some have been emotional..to say the least. I was very sick one day from the food. I have taken two showers, one being with a bucket of cold, brown water. Tje culture here is very different from most American cultures. Here you do not cross your legs or arms, you do everything with your right hand..NEVER left because that is  offensive, no one talks
to the taxi driver it's as if their minds speak to each other on where they are going..I have yet to figure this one out. this post is actually a lot longer than I thought. 

my journal has become my resource to sanity. I write in it atleast twice a day, my thoughts become
so clear as soon as I open it. I just finished a book called The Fault in Our Stars, it was absolutely amazing and so inspiring.

I know there is much more to learn and take from this experience, I feel so blessed to have such an amazing and uncommon opportunity.

3 comments:

  1. this is amazing! keep posting i love reading about your experience. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its amazing how their "normal" is our "unacceptable". I laughed out loud when I read the part about not worrying about breaking out or your eyebrows, I think all American girls could use some time in Africa where you would rather look plain hahaha. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brit I am so stoked to go along with you during your Journey. Thank you for writing. Your feelings bring back so many good memories for me. Good feelings of hope for people who don't often have hope for themselves. Thank you

    ReplyDelete